Contract with Government of the District of Columbia
DCPS – 1200 First Street NE, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20002
Position closes 08/14/2017
US Citizens or Green Card Holders Only
16+ years of experience. Provides assessments of technical and operational practices based on leading industry standards specific to the requested technology.
Skills/Required Years of Experience:
16+ yrs as SME in complex enterprise level projects (Required 16 years)
Master’s degree in IT or related field or equivalent experience (Required)
Must have experience with K12 Secondary School master scheduling at an individual or school district level (Required)
Experience documenting technology requirements, requirement analysis tools/methodologies Knowledge of process reengineering methodologies and process (Required 16 years)
Must have previous experience with a DCPS secondary schools (Required)
Must have a minimum of two years’ experience with technical setup and configuration of secondary school schedules in Aspen. (Required 2 years)
Must have hands on experience building schedules with Follett Aspen student information system (Required)
PHD preferred. (Preferred)
Master Scheduling and Grade Book Consultant will serve as a key Subject Matter Expert in scheduling and grading activities in the District’s Aspen SIS system for DCPS’ schools. He/She will be key in training Aspen Trainers and may be required to delivering training and support for the broader Aspen users as needed. The Master Scheduling and Grade Book Consultant will work directly with Central Office programs and school administrative personnel to provide hands-on instruction and best-practice examples to help Programs in establishing their policies and school to build their school schedule. The consultant’s explanations and technique must effectively address varying levels of comprehension of scheduling (i.e. a 4 by 4 vs a skinny) and learning types in a professional and courteous manner.
Specific duties for this role include: assisting school based users in scheduling their schools (both master scheduling and individual student scheduling), coming up with standard templates and approaches to addressing district wide scheduling challenges, walking users through a series of steps to determine the cause of a problem, updating systems to reflect users’ requests, and creation of training resources to support the ongoing use of the system. The Master Scheduling and Grade Book Consultant must take decisive ownership of problems and promote end-user understanding with a minimal level of supervision.
The ideal Master Schedule consultant is a fast learner, an analytical thinker and problem solver, and is familiar with the configuration and constraints of school schedules. Demonstrable experience in secondary school scheduling is an absolute requirement whether that be with a specific SIS or as a school administrator. Consultants with a background in an analytical discipline are often the most adept users of the schedule build engine. In addition to the required technical skill set, the nature of working with schools requires that the consultants be friendly, attentive, collaborative, resourceful, and diplomatic.
1. Support schools central office programs in the elaboration and refinement of Scheduling and Grading Policies
2. Support schools and ensure that individual school based master schedulers are comfortable using the software
3. Design and develop training materials (user guides, manuals, handouts, and exercises etc) in collaboration with DCPS team members to meet attendee learning needs.
4. Provide input into decisions regarding the most effective training strategies, methods, materials and settings to correspond with the type of training needed and/or the environment in which the training will be applied.
5. Identify areas of improvement within current process
6. Work independently while still appropriately escalating issues to supervisory staff
Required Skills and Experience:
1. Required: Must have a Master’s degree, PHD preferred
2. Required: Must have experience with K12 Secondary School master scheduling at an individual or school district level
3. Required: Experience documenting technology requirements, requirement analysis tools/methodologies Knowledge of process reengineering methodologies and process flowcharting
4. Required: Must have previous experience with a DCPS secondary schools
5. Required: Must have a minimum of two years’ experience with technical setup and configuration of secondary school schedules in Aspen.
6. Required: Must have hands on experience building schedules with Follett Aspen student information system
1. Provides assessments of technical and operational practices based on leading industry standards specific to the requested technology.
2. Plans, organizes, and conducts research in a variety of areas, such as new or existing products, science, social science, law or business in support of an IT initiative.
3. Searches sources such as reference works, literature, documents, newspapers, statistical records, and other sources of information. May use Internet, Intranet, magazines, periodicals, journals, and other media to perform research.
4. Analyzes information and statistical data to prepare reports and studies for use by professionals.
Background check is required, if selected for the position. There are no reimbursable expenses allocated to this position.