Contract with Government of the District of Columbia
DCPS – 1200 First Street NE, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20002
Position closes 03/15/2018
US Citizens or Green Card Holders Only
DCPS is seeking an experienced Student Information Systems (Aspen SIS preferably) Application Dev. 6-10 years of experience. Designs, develops, enhances, debugs, and implements software.Troubleshoots production problems related to software applications.
Skills/Required Years of Experience:
6-10 yrs troubleshooting production problems related to software applications (Required 6 Years)
Bachelor’s degree in IT or related field or equivalent experience (Required 10 Years)
Professional IT experience (Required 6 Years)
API protocols and tools such as JSON, XML, Ajax etc. (Required 2 Years)
Experience with ETL approaches, concepts, and tools (Required 4 Years)
Student Information Systems (Aspen SIS preferably) (Highly desired)
Excellent communication skills, especially the ability to actively listen and draw out the true needs of the stakeholder (Required 6 Years)
Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team (Required 6 Years)
DCPS is seeking an experienced Application Developer who values and produces clean, well-thought, and standards-compliant code.
The developer is expected to review design specifications, create, configure, and customize complex enterprise business applications in accordance with the DCPS Enterprise Applications & Data Systems (EADS) application lifecycle development standards: write code, perform unit testing, package and deploy solutions. In addition to designing to fill a particular set of requirements, they will also balance immediate needs with future direction and ensure that work for one project can be leveraged for other purposes as much as possible.
Additional areas of focus include data integration services in support to data extraction from various student information systems into the data warehouse. On top of technical skills, they must have a strong sense of curiosity as a critical part of the role will be to help come up with the future long-term vision for EADS in DCPS and contribute to plan out what should be built to implement that vision.
1. Works with Business Analyst and Solution Architect understand development and customization needs
2. Support configuration team in front end modification, workflow and notification configuration
3. Rapid development of proof of concept
4. Write code and procedures aligned with DCPS requirements
5. Trouble shoots complex code
6. Create scripts and queries to enable data integration between various student data systems
7. Creates user-friendly technical documentation to enrich knowledge base
8. Maintains clean and elegant code as well as ensures up to date code repository.
9. Investigates new technologies and suggests new solutions to business problems
10. Evaluate software to determine the level that it meets the needs of the business today and in the future (design, extendibility, flexibility, integration, utilizes generic business objects/components etc.).
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
1. Required: 6+ years of professional experience
3. Required: 2+ API protocols and tools such as JSON, XML, Ajax etc.
5. Required: Experience with ETL approaches, concepts, and tools
7. Required: Keen sense of maximizing return on investment, focusing on the 80% solutions rather than a fruitless quest for perfection
8. Required: Strong attention to detail and the ability to translate high level technical and business initiatives and goals into discrete tasks and specific timelines
9. Required: Excellent communication skills, especially the ability to actively listen and draw out the true needs rather than the stated wants of any given stakeholder
10. Required: Superb problem solving skills and troubleshooting abilities
11. Required: Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team
12. Required: Strong focus on teamwork and developing the skills of DCPS colleagues both technical and non-technical
1. Designs, develops, enhances, debugs, and implements software. Troubleshoots production problems related to software applications.
2. Researches, tests, build, and coordinate the conversion and/or integration of new products based on client requirements. Designs and develops new software products or major enhancements to existing software.
3. Addresses problems of systems integration, compatibility, and multiple platforms.
4. Consults with project teams and end users to identify application requirements.
5. Performs feasibility analysis on potential future projects to management.
6. Assists in the evaluation and recommendation of application software packages, application integration and testing tools.
7. Resolves problems with software and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements.
8. Acts as team leader on projects.
9. Instructs, assigns, directs, and checks the work of other software developers on development team.
10. Participates in development of software user manuals.
Background check is required, if selected for the position. There are no reimbursable expenses allocated to this position.