Contract with Government of the District of Columbia
DBH – 64 NY Ave, NE 3rd Floor Washington, DC, 20002
Position closes 10/04/2019
US Citizens or Green Card Holders Only
This position is located in the Data Reporting Branch, Data and Performance Management Division, Systems Transformation Administration, Department of Behavioral Health (DBH).
Skills/Required Years of Experience:
Supports large-scale database development efforts in an on-premise SQL Server 2016 environment. (Required 3 years)
Database dev. n Microsoft SQL 2016 database tables, stored procedures, indexes, triggers, functions, views and other underlying database objects. (Required 5 years)
Collaborates with data warehouse architect to design database objects to facilitate seamless data visualization using MicroStrategy (Required 5 years)
Designs and implements ETL processes in SSIS/WebQL (Required 3 years)
Gather, normalize and load data from disparate data sources into a unified SQL Server 2016 database framework. (Required 3 years)
User/security management in SQL Server 2016. (Required 2 years)
SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) and SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) (Required 2 years)
Work w/ consumer health data sets (including protected health information subsets) and best practices in using RDB to properly display aggr and trends (Required 2 years)
1-5 yrs conveying technical and functional concepts for a specific technical specialty (Required 5 years)
1-5 yrs preparing complex technical documentation (Required 5 years)
Bachelor’s degree in IT or related field or equivalent experience (Required)
The goal of the Data and Performance Management Branch is to meet the data reporting and analysis needs of the Department of Behavioral Health. This is done by working with various branches to understand what information is needed and in what format, creating reports and dashboards that present the information, making the information accessible, and helping staff understand what the information means and how it can be used to create strategies for performance improvement. The branch is also responsible for producing and analyzing data for performance management, tracking trends, and decision making.
The resource serves as the Database Specialist for the DBH, responsible for designing, developing and deploying database objects to support DBH data reporting needs. Resource is responsible for leveraging expertise of current business intelligence and software development methodologies to assist with the overall planning of projects including recommending approaches, identifying resources, developing timelines and resolving a wide range of technical and management issues. Resource is also responsible for database infrastructure administration of multiple development environments.
As a Database Specialist, resource is responsible for leveraging expertise of current SQL Server database development methodologies to participate in the overall planning of projects including recommending approaches, identifying resources, developing timelines and resolving a wide range of technical and management issues. Key areas of responsibility include: 1) primary development of a SQL Server database infrastructure to serve as the source of information for a business intelligence framework 2) development of new tables, views, triggers and indexes to support a complex data model and ensure optimal database performance 3) maintaining and extending the database infrastructure based on SQL Server best practices; 4) working in close collaboration with the data warehouse architect to build, normalize and structure underlying data sets to drive reports development and BI dashboards and 5) secondary database administration for multiple database environments. Duties also include:
• Works with IT professionals, executive stakeholders, and District officials, and representatives of other government agencies in all phases of development, implementation, quality assurance and operations
• Supports large-scale database development efforts in an on-premise SQL Server 2016 environment.
• Designs and builds database tables, stored procedures, indexes, triggers, functions, views and other underlying database objects.
• Collaborates with data warehouse architect to design database objects to facilitate seamless data visualization using MicroStrategy as well as ensure optimal performance and scalability on a database level.
• Database modeling to support BI reporting (lookups, facts, dimensions and transaction tables) as well as build on existing data structures to enable full reporting capabilities.
• Designs and implements ETL processes in SSIS/WebQL to gather, normalize and load data from disparate data sources into a unified SQL Server 2016 database framework.
• Provides operational support for static-dynamic data migration endeavors and large, multi-phase data visualization projects.
• Designs and develops documentation on database designs (i.e., stored procedures, configuration files, tables, views, and functions); develops small presentations/training and is involved in all aspects of data administration.
Secondary responsibilities include:
• Update existing SQL Server objects to support ongoing projects.
• Refresh dev/test databases from production
• Database performance optimization and tuning
• User/security management in SQL Server 2016.
• Physical/logical database schema and object design.
• Maintains personal contacts with management and clinical personnel within DBH’s provider network including but not limited to other District agencies and private contractors to provide a high level of consultative technical assistance and recommendations in order to build consensus, collaboration and facilitate the growth and development of an integrated quality monitoring system for the adherence to standards, rules and regulations by imparting knowledge through experiential teaching modalities
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates expertise in conveying technical and functional concepts for a specific technical specialty.
- Identifies improvements to project standards to achieve high quality services/ products. This is a professional position which may require subject matter expertise consistent with demanding and rare technological skills.
- May require coordination of programming activities being conducted by the application development team
- Confers with other business and technical personnel to resolve problems of intent, inaccuracy, or feasibility of computer processing and project design.
- Works with necessary personnel to determine if modifications are necessary with interested personnel to determine necessity for modifications or enhancements.
- Leverages excellent written and verbal communication skills to develop new business process and programming solutions as directed by business and technical stakeholders.
- May coordinate activities of application developers.
- Able to identify best practices and standards for the use of the product.
- Proven track record of hands-on technical design and code work within large complex systems.
- Proven hands-on technical work with a variety of technologies.
- Demonstrated technical expertise integrating a variety of diverse technical environments and cross-platform technologies.
- Delivers support and design for industry specific applications that require integration with statewide systems or applications.
- Interacts with executive level business users or technical experts.
- Advanced experience in the required technical subject matter.
- May function as a niche technical SME (Subject Matter Expert).
- Has proven experience across large and complex implementations and systems.
Background check is required, if selected for the position.
There are no reimbursable expenses allocated to this position.