Contract with Government of the District of Columbia
OCTO – 200 I Street, SE Washington DC 20003
Position closes 10/21/2019
US Citizens or Green Card Holders Only
Entry level analyst responsible for planning, designing and implementation of the data center mainframe environments and configurations in support of DR, HA and data center projects in regards to the open system and mainframe platforms.
Skills/Required Years of Experience:
Experience in 24×7/365 Large Scale Data Center Operations Environment preferred (Required 5 years)
Experience utilizing enterprising scheduling systems (UC4, CA7, Control-M) to ensure timely completion of application processing workloads. (Highly desired 5 Years)
Experience using IBM z System monitoring, trouble-shooting. Mainframe system IPL knowledge and operational methods and practices (Required 5 years)
Extensive knowledge of MVS, JES2, Omegamon, RACF and TSO commands and network monitoring. (Required 5 years)
Extensive knowledge of operating systems, IBM utility programs, and job control languages to initiate and monitor processing of production workloads (Required 5 years)
Extensive knowledge mainframe peripheral devices (Tape Silos and DASD), to include operating methods and trouble-shooting. (Required 5 years)
Extensive knowledge of mainframe host systems (CICS, DB2, ADABAS, IMS, z/Linux ). (Required 5 years)
Problem management skills required including escalation of issues to staff, management, vendors to address issues and document in Remedy system (Required 5 years)
1-5 yrs documenting user requirements (Desired 5 Years)
1-5 yrs preparing complex technical documentation (Desired 5 Years)
Bachelor’s degree in IT or related field or equivalent experience (Required)
OCTO Mainframe Support Services monitors and trouble-shoots all of our mainframe hardware devices, network infrastructure and our district agencies host applications. Mainframe Support is responsible for monitoring 2 mainframe platforms, which host 13 (Logical Partitians) LPARS and processes more than 230434 programs and scripts yearly within our production and non-production environments. Mainframe Support must ensure seamless, non-disruptive system maintenance activities to minimize impact on our customer’s production environments and to ensure adherence to each agencies service level commitments.
- Plan and deploy microcode upgrades for all mainframe hardware at ODC1 and Coresite. Review and validate all managed system recovery procedures for disaster recovery purposes.
- Develop backup and recovery policy for all mainframe workstations. Provide an end-to-end process for the implementation of software updates and fixes without impacting the availability of system monitoring resources.
- Redesign HMC configuration, provide new operational standards and procedures. Analyze, validate and tag all mainframe infrastructures cabling at ODC1.
- Help improve problem resolution efficiency by requiring fewer steps to find a root cause performance impact in near real time, which helps increase availability.
- Work to implement and provide an IBM 3270-based user interface capable of viewing the entire enterprise-wide environment from a single screen in support of the mainframe/open systems computing systems. Implementation of this expansive enterprise view is designed to increase visibility, control and automation.
- Work to support a redesigned IBM OMEGAMON architecture to provide cloud support throughout hybrid environments. This feature also helps reduce software costs and the need for mainframe resources. Simplify installation, configuration and maintenance using self-describing agents and parameter library methodology. With this feature, we can enhance IT productivity across the computing networks
- Develop resource level monitoring of all Java Virtual Machines (JVMs) on z/OS platforms via the IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE on z/OS Monitoring Feature for JVM V5.3.0, a new feature of IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE on z/OS. Workspaces are provided in both the enhanced 3270UI and IBM Tivoli Enterprise Portal (TEP).
- Formulates/defines system scope and objectives.
- Devises or modifies procedures to solve complex problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time, and form of desired results.
- Prepares detailed specifications for programs. Assists in the design, development, testing, implementation, and documentation of new software and enhancements of existing applications.
- Works with project managers, developers, and end users to ensure application designs meet business requirements.
- Formulates/defines specifications for complex operating software programming applications or modifies/maintains complex existing applications using engineering releases and utilities from the manufacturer.
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents those programs.
- Provides overall operating system, such as sophisticated file maintenance routines, large telecommunications networks, computer accounting, and advanced mathematical/scientific software packages.
- Assists all phases of software systems programming applications.
- Evaluates new and existing software products.
Background check is required, if selected for the position.
There are no reimbursable expenses allocated to this position.