Contract with Government of the District of Columbia
DCPS – 1200 First Street NE, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20002
Position closes 02/26/2019
US Citizens or Green Card Holders Only
1-5 years of experience. Manages, organizes, and administers systems analysis while preparing applications and operating systems for processing data and solving problems.
Skills/Required Years of Experience:
1-5 yrs clarifying system and program intent (Required 3 Years)
1-5 yrs identifying problems, suggesting changes, and determining extent of application systems changes (Required 3 Years)
Bachelor’s degree in IT or related field or equivalent experience (Required 7 Years)
Advanced experience using MS Power BI. Must have deep understanding of Power BI Desktop/Azure, DAX and SQL (Required 2 Years)
Microsoft technology stack experience (SQL Server, SQL Management Studio, SSIS, SSAS, Azure data platform, etc.) (Required 2 Years)
Knowledge of relational and dimensional database structures, theories, principles, and practices with a solid understanding of OLTP, OLAP and ETL. (Required 1 Year)
Exceptional analytics, conceptual, problem-solving abilities, communication skills and experience training staff and users. (Required 3 Years)
Highly self-motivated to deliver both independently and with strong team collaboration. (Highly desired 5 Years)
Experience working with K-12 education data. (Highly desired 1 Year)
The District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) Office of Data Systems & Strategy (ODSS) will be launching new Business Intelligence (BI) initiatives and seeks a highly proficient Microsoft Power BI Developer who can support on technical backend set up, dashboard development, tool deployment to users, staff and user training, as well as consult on developing the BI strategy and plan for the agency.
- Design and develop compelling Power BI data visualizations.
- Create functional and technical documentation related to Business Intelligence solutions.
- Communicate effectively with both technical and nontechnical stakeholders.
- Develop and conduct training for current technical staff and nontechnical users.
- Collaborate with both business and IT partners to identify key use cases and define associated requirements.
- Conduct and support whiteboarding sessions, workshops, design sessions, and project meetings as needed.
- Provide thought leadership, best practices, and standards required to deliver effective Power BI solutions to schools.
- Work with ODSS leadership to develop and refine a BI strategy around governance and adoption.
- Quantitative background with 1-5 years of experience applying data visualization and business intelligence to the solution of real-world business problems.
- Advanced experience using MS Power BI. Must have a deep understanding of Power BI Desktop/Azure, DAX and SQL.
- Microsoft technology stack experience (SQL Server, SQL Management Studio, SSIS, SSAS, Azure data platform, Etc.).
- Knowledge of relational and dimensional database structures, theories, principles, and practices with a solid understanding of OLTP, OLAP and ETL processes and technologies.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, problem-solving abilities, communication skills and experience training staff and users.
- Highly self-motivated to deliver both independently and with strong team collaboration.
- Experience working with K-12 education data, preferred.
- Manages, organizes, and administers systems analysis and preparation of applications and operating systems programming to process data and solve problems.
- Establishes priorities and schedules, and oversees and reviews work of systems analysis and programming personnel.
- Reviews feasibility studies and time /cost estimates of new or revised systems.
- Assists in the development of standards, procedures, and operating systems applications.
- Possesses a combination of technical training and hands-on expertise.
- Works with stakeholders and management to ensure projects are completed on time and according to organization standards.
- Consults with personnel in other information systems groups to coordinate activities.
- Consults with management to clarify systems and programs intent, identify problems, suggest changes, and determine extent of application systems changes required.
- Participates in developing a project plan and schedule with key milestones, contingency plans, workflow charts or diagrams, considering factors, such as resource requirements, computer storage capacity and speed, extent of peripheral equipment, and intended use of output data.
- Analyzes test runs on computer and supervises correction of coded program and input data.
- Manages the revision of existing programs to increase operating efficiency or adapt to new requirements.
- Compiles documentation of program development and subsequent revisions.
- Trains subordinates in systems analysis, feasibility studies, programming, and program coding.
- Prescribes standards for terms and symbols used to simplify interpretation of programs.
- Collaborates with computer manufacturers and other users to develop new programming methods.
- Prepares records and reports.
- Ensures consistency and completeness across data models.
- Plans and delivers development architecture environments in coordination with the Environmental Support Specialist.
- Assists in managing and directing team’s technical architecture processes.
- Develops and documents expert practices/standards.
- Possesses strong analysis, presentation, documentation, and quality assurance skills.
- Analyzes, determines, and documents technical requirements and impact analysis for technical and development architectures.
- Explains defect priorities and enhancement classifications to client.
- Leads systems analysis for architecture and development of new applications.
- Establishes development schedule, and allocates work of personnel based on project plans, timelines and budgets.
- Works with organizational leadership to ensure projects are in line with long-term IT strategies and initiatives.
- Works with management to articulate systems and programs purpose, identifies problems, suggest changes, and determines required changes to existing applications.
- Provides mentoring and guidance to agency personnel and leadership when needed.
- Maintains awareness of new technological developments in industry and processes, and implements concepts appropriately.
- Leads or participates in setting the service levels for applications.
- Defines overall system architecture.
- Provides well-structured work plans which define scope, resources, milestones, quality, risk, tasks, and acceptance criteria.
- Prepares contingencies, scenarios, scenario plans and action items to resolve issues.
- Leads efforts in providing technical expertise, guidance, and training to the Application and Test Teams.
Background check is required, if selected for the position.
There are no reimbursable expenses allocated to this position.