Contract with Government of the District of Columbia
1015 Half Street, SE Suite 750, Washington, DC 20003
Position closes 07/28/2020
US Citizens or Green Card Holders Only
1-5 years of experience. The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of computer hardware and software and related infrastructure.
Skills/Required Years of Experience:
1-5 yrs installing and configuring system hardware/software in an enterprise environment (Required 1 Year)
1-5 yrs installing operating system (OS) patches and upgrades (Required 1 Year)
1-5 yrs monitoring networks to ensure security and availability (Required 1 Year)
1-5 yrs performing daily backups (Required 1 Year)
1-5 yrs troubleshooting server and other hardware issues (Required 1 Year)
Bachelor’s degree in IT or related field or equivalent experience (Required)
The District of Columbia Board of Elections (DCBOE) is the independent agency of the District government responsible for the administration of elections, ballot access, and voter registration. DCBOE consists of three active Board members, an Executive Director, a General Counsel, and a number of support staff who run the day-to-day operations of the Agency.
The mission of BOE is to enfranchise eligible residents, conduct elections, and assure the integrity of the electoral process. This mission is mandated by federal and local statutes. The schedule of elections, which is dictated by law, requires flexibility in the funding levels established from year to year. This mission is executed through the operation of the District’s voter registration system; by administration of the ballot access process for candidates and measures; through the delivery of comprehensive public, media, and voter information services, by maintenance of technical systems to support voting, ballot tabulation, and electronic mapping of election district boundaries; through planning and implementation of each District of Columbia election; and through the performance of legal counsel, rule-making, and adjudication functions.
DCOE is looking for an entry level system administrator to troubleshoot server, desktop and high level system issues. This person will also serve as a liaison to the Office of the Chief Technology issues on behalf of DCBOE.
- The System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of computer hardware and software and related infrastructure.
- Participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure.
- Ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to District policies, standards, and guidelines.
- Installs new / rebuild existing servers and configures hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Performs daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Performs regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Performs daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Creates, changes, and deletes user accounts per request.
- Provides Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies.
- Investigates and troubleshoots issues.
- Diagnoses and recovers from hardware or software failures.
- Coordinates and communicates with impacted constituencies.
- Applies operating system (OS) patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrades administrative tools and utilities.
- Configures / adds new services as necessary.
- Upgrades and configures system software that supports infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintains operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Performs periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Performs ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Configures central processing unit (CPU), memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintains data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
Background check is required, if selected for the position.
There are no reimbursable expenses allocated to this position.