Contract with Government of the District of Columbia
OCTO – 200 I Street, SE Washington DC 20003
Position closes 12/11/2020
US Citizens or Green Card Holders Only
8-15 years of experience. The NOC Sr. Systems Engineer role has global responsibilities for the administration, implementation, operations and disaster recovery aspect of Unix-based Network Management Servers and the SolarWinds Network Monitoring system.
Skills/Required Years of Experience:
8 -15 yrs. pervious work experience at enterprise level NOC with documented experience in NMS (Required 8 Years)
8 -15 yrs. troubleshooting network performance issues (Required 8 Years)
8 -15 yrs. planning and configuring an enterprise network (Required 8 Years)
8 -15 yrs. monitoring and responding to hardware, software, and network problems (Required 8 Years)
Hardware Configuration, Operation Monitoring and Maintenance tasks on Unix/Linux NMS systems (Required 11 Years)
Experience interfacing with IT leads to ensure proper escalation of issues during outages or periods of degraded system performance. (Required 11 Years)
Compiling and analyzing information related to critical events (preparing reason for outage reports, timelines, impact, etc.) (Required 11 Years)
ITIL management framework experience (Required 11 Years)
Cisco CCNP or higher networking experience equivalent experience (Required 11 Years)
Firewalls and security appliance experience in Cisco ASA, Juniper and other equivalent experience (Required 11 Years)
Experience with network monitoring tools such as SolarWinds, NetScout, Splunk, HP OpenView, and SiteScope (Required 11 Years)
Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and Routing Protocols (EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, and eVPN/VRF) (Required 11 Years)
Bachelor’s degree in IT or related field or equivalent experience (Required 11 Years)
- Support and provide Systems Engineering Operations & Maintenance (O & M) for the Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO) NOC SolarWinds Network Monitoring environment.
- Work with OCTO departments and other critical agencies to enable SolarWinds monitoring for their respective applications and network/server equipment.
- Utilize NetScout or other available packet sniffer tools/Unix scripts to generate network traffic reports and routinely prepare reason for outage (RFO) documents and reports based on systems analysis.
- Interfaces with District agency IT leads to ensure proper escalation during outages or periods of degraded system performance.
- Plans large-scale systems engineering projects through advanced systems analysis, vendor comparison and cost studies.
- Provides quality assurance review and the evaluation of new and existing hardware and software products for Network Monitoring and DNS Management.
- Provides oversight for all information systems operations activities, including computer and telecommunications/communications operations, data entry, data control, LAN/MAN/WAN administration and operations support, operating systems programming, system security policy procedures, and/or web strategy and operations.
- Candidate will be required to work on shift, to support the NOC 365/24/7 operations.
- Coordinates IT project management, engineering, maintenance, QA, and risk management for monitoring tools infrastructure including SolarWinds HA environment..
- Plans, coordinates, and monitors NOC project activities.
- Develops technical applications and documentation to support NOC Analysts and end-users.
- Develops, implements, maintains and enforces documented standards and procedures for the design, development, installation, modification, and documentation of assigned systems.
- Provides training for system products and procedures.
- Performs systems and application upgrades for all monitoring systems.
- Performs, monitoring, maintenance, or reporting on real- time databases, real-time network and serial data communications, and real-time graphics and logic applications.
- Troubleshoots all problems in the monitoring tools to include SiteScope, HP OpenView, SolarWinds, Cisco Syslog’s, Splunk and Netbrain.
- Ensures project life cycle is compliant with District of Columbia Government standards and procedures.
Background check is required, if selected for the position.
There are no reimbursable expenses allocated to this position.